Are you someone who is a self-declared cat disliker? Or worse… a cat hater? I totally get it, trust me. A lot of cats come off as stubborn, distant, unaffectionate and honestly pretty hard to love if you haven’t loved them since birth like us crazy cat people. But what if I told you that cats can in fact be super friendly and loving animals in their own cat ways. I know, I know, you don’t like cats BECAUSE they’re cats, but just bear with me okay?
It’s almost impossible to know why something is great when you can never actually get to know it, but that’s where I come in. I wrote a short list of some things that make cats awesome that I think you’ll appreciate too. Here it is!
- They sit like loaves of bread and rotisserie chickens, it’s weird, but funny
- They purr and it is super relaxing to feel and hear
- Their eyes get big and their butts wiggle when they play, it’s adorable, and you can’t resist smiling
- They take care of themselves for the most part
- They can be taught to go on walks and how to do tricks, they’re just taught different from dogs
- They are fluffy and soft
Still not convinced that cats aren’t so bad? I wouldn’t doubt it, you can be told all day and all night but you won’t really know until you spend time with them! Don’t worry, I made another list for you. These are some ways to spend time with a cat to get an idea of why us cat people love them so much.
- Watch them play and learn how to play with them and then do it! A cat that is playing is the silliest and most fun to watch. You’ll also see that they are such amazing little creatures that can run, pounce, sneak, and jump like none other.
- Feed them, you’ll see that cats do indeed show affection once their food is pulled out.
- Visit cats in a shelter, almost all of them beg for petting and cuddles and will love you up more than you thought possible.
- Hang out with a kitten, I can’t even describe the joy this brings to absolutely anyone. If a kitten can’t make you smile then I don’t think anything ever will.
The best part about cats for people who don’t like them is that they already really like you! Cats gravitate towards people who ignore them and who don’t want anything to do with them because they hate how overbearing and “up in their business” cat lovers can be. They like that they can calmly sit by you and not have to worry about being constantly pet and cooed at. So as much as you may want to disagree, you may already have a cat friend!
I know not everyone can be converted to cat lovers, but even just a general neutral feeling about them is all I’m asking you to get from this blog post. Who knows? Maybe one day you’ll be given the chance to own your own cat and you’ll have to learn to love them, and if that day comes, you can use what you’ve learned here to help you along the way!